For several days now we have been hoping and planning for a closing at 9 am on Wednesday (tomorrow). The final piece necessary for that to happen was the completion of the appraiser’s compliance report. The bank’s underwriters need this form, which completes the appraiser’s report, in order to complete their paperwork for the financing of the house. Apparently it takes 48 hours to complete the paperwork once the full and complete appraisal is submitted.
All day yesterday we waited in vain to hear from the bank that the report was complete and that our closing was on for tomorrow morning. By the close of business yesterday we hadn’t heard anything.
This morning I contacted our mover, Bailey Moving and Storage, the local Allied franchise, to keep them appraised of our situation. Even with a closing on Thursday we could still have Allied pack us on Thursday and move us on Friday – it would just require a little more coordination. Over the course of several emails back and forth between myself and Tim Bailey, I learned to my shock and dismay at that Fort Riley, the local military installation, has request assistance with returning soldiers, and Bailey Moving and Storage was delaying all moves in order to meet this need. In other words, the earliest date Allied can now assist us is December 27 and 28th – twelve days from now.
Sibylle and I planned to give ourselves the Christmas present of Allied packing and moving us. To learn just two days before we were to move that they can’t help us is a bitter pill to swallow. I’ve contacted the other two major moving companies in Manhattan hoping against hope that they will be able to help on incredibly short notice.
Meanwhile, our realtor has tracked down the errant compliance report. Due to the recent mortgage crisis there are new regulations in place prohibiting real estate agents or lending officers from talking to appraisers. Part of the mortgage crisis was caused by collusion between agents, lending officers, and appraisers. Therefore we have been in the dark about the final page of our appraisal. Our agent took a chance and called the appraisal firm and discovered that the report had been handed in twice yesterday. The first at the start of the business day. It seems the wrong branch of the bank was listed and the underwriters needed that changed. The appraiser corrected the paperwork and resubmitted it sometime later in the day.
Now we are waiting to see if we can still have a closing tomorrow at a time that works with our schedules.
And we are waiting for word from United and Covan about moving.
We were dumped out of the fire and into the pan, and now we’ve managed to climb back into the pan.