Our house is done. The appliances are installed, the inspections have been passed, windows and floors cleaned. It is done.
There remain one or two details however.
The city code inspector refused to sign the occupancy permit due to the sink in the garage. It seems the water supply to that sink could freeze. The garage is insulated, and it would take carelessness on our part though leaving one of the doors open to make it cold enough in there to freeze and burst the water lines.
Our builder said that in previous houses where he has installed a sink in the garage there has never been a peep from the city inspector. I suspect those inspections happened in July rather than December. His solution is to remove the sink, seal the lines and patch the holes in the wall. Until the inspection is past. And then *cough* re-install said sink and its connections. We’ll insulate the feed lines ourselves for added piece of mind.
The appraiser did return this afternoon to do his compliance visit. We were “out of compliance” during the first visit as the electrical and plumbing connections weren’t complete, and the gutters weren’t there, et cetera. Our lender needs this compliance report by Monday so that we can close on Wednesday. We will be awaiting news from our lender first thing Monday morning that they have received this report. Delaying the close one day would tighten our moving schedule, but the move would still happen next week. A two day delay would be, well… not as good.
The builder and his structural wiring guy fixed the missing external cable and telephone drop problem. They were able to fish the cable and telephone lines up from the lower level, through the attic, and down to the same wall as the electrical service point for the house. It is an ideal solution to the problem that existed two days ago.
On Monday we meet with the blind people to have our windows measured and to get a quote for blinds. That will give us a chance to see the completely cleaned house, all ready for us to move into and live in.